Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dream Update.

Still very little solid info to report as far as construction. Still waiting to find out if I will be awarded ownership of some 3" channel iron left from a remodeling job at the store. My boss is willing, but must get the OK from corporate. Once I have that, I can start on my frame table. One worry is there are others with their eye on this material. I can only hope their ethics are still in order. There was a time when I would probably have just made a Midnight appropriation, but now, how my actions reflect on the Glory of my Lord Jesus Christ are important to me. I will leave it in His hands. One more thing on the table. With Springtime finally here, I have some construction/repair jobs to do around the homestead. Surplus material from these should net me a top for the table.

I have recently been in contact with Keith Tanner ("How To Build A Cheap Sports Car") via e-mail. When I started this Blog, I used a picture of Keith's Seven to illustrate what I was talking about. This seemed appropriate since it was his car and story that rekindled my interest in building a Seven. It occurred to me later that this action may not have been appropriate because I had not been given permission to use someone else's intellectual property. So, with hat in hand, I fired off an e-mail to Mr. Tanner confessing my sin, begging forgiveness, and asking permission to continue use of the picture (Since I don't have anything of my own to share as yet). Keith was most gracious in his reply, stating that he was pleased and honored that his car helped to inspire me in my build. Permission was granted for continued use. Thank you, Keith!

I have been spending time researching the build. The Locost web groups have been invaluable. One thing that has bothered me is the use of a rod end bearing in place of a proper ball joint on the upper front A-arms. Maybe this is a non-issue with such a light car, but I don't like rod ends in single shear mounting in a hyper critical area like the front suspension. It seems that the upper ball joint in the Miata is non-replaceable. If you wear one out, you replace the whole control arm. Seemed a little odd to me, but it meant that a stock Miata ball joint wasn't the answer. It seems that this very question bothered others before me. I found my answer in the forums of LocostUSA.com. I can recommend this group (as well as the "Yahoo" locost groups) to anyone contemplating a sports car build, be it Locost or not.

Another source of frustration has recently surfaced. While I am not yet ready financially to go Miata shopping (you know, those homestead projects as well as buying my better half a new, much deserved dish washer), I have been "window" shopping just to see what's out there. Much to my chagrin, I found a couple cars that would work beautifully. One of the sellers even dropped his price to where I couldn't say "No" IF I had any money to spend. I really hate to let this one go so I'll start beating the bushes to see if I can beg, borrow or... No, wait, that's just beg or borrow the cash. What makes it more frustrating is that the price is low enough that I'm certain I can sell the surplus Miata parts for as much or more than the price of the donor car. Oh well I'll pray about it. If God wants it to happen, he'll make a way! In the meantime, I'll keep looking for ideas.

Well, that's it for now. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment