Wednesday, August 3, 2011

PROGRESS OF A TECHNICAL SORT

No, I haven't started construction yet, I'm sorry to say. But, I have acquired some new technology which should help speed up the planning stage.

After a late night session working on some drawings of the chassis with the modifications that I plan to use, things went a bit awry, due partly to a need for some sleep, and partly for lack of proper drafting tools. While laying in dimensions on a drawing that I had just slaved over for hours, I discovered that I had inadvertently shortened the car 3 inches. Unfortunately, this was in an area of the frame that would have required redrawing about 2/3 of the whole thing. This lead me to search for an inexpensive CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) software that would allow me to work on the PC rather than the DRT (Dining Room Table). Thanks to the gang at LocostUSA.com, I found "Sketchup", a free (free is always good) program from Google. It seems to offer everything that a drafting "duffer" like myself would need. Now, all I have to do is learn how to use it.

More news as it breaks!

1 comment:

  1. Let me know if you find a way to add dimensions in the visible part.

    ReplyDelete